Thursday, March 15, 2012

Planting a large garden in a small space.


 As you saw in my last post, the fence was up, the soil prepared, the lot line established and now: 'let the fun begin'!

This was my first attempt at a real garden. I have always loved flowers, I was raised in the business. My folks owned a Flower Shop for 41 yrs. at a time when the only place flowers were sold was at a Flower shop. But 'cut flowers' and growing a garden are not the same.

In the beginning I bought all perennials.  My theory was that perennials come up year after year, the easiest way to go. Since then I learned that if I wanted color all season, I needed to add some annuals to the mix. A few years of trial and error helped me create a piece of art, not on canvas but still a piece of art using color and balance and repetition, just like I use in my paintings.

 When it comes to choosing your plants, don't stress over your choice. Have fun with it and get what you like. The trip to the greenhouse is the most fun you can ever have.

        1.Think about height. I only had room for 3 rows so I had 3 heights: low, medium  and high.

        2.Think about colors. My theme was to repeat colors through out, not to cluster colors in groups.                                                                                             For color ideas, browse through garden magazines.

        3. Don't overcrowd. It is very deceiving in the Spring, to image how large some of these plants will grow, so follow the directions on the label.

        4. Think sun and shade. This could take a little homework, but with Google, how hard can this be?

        5. As a general rule, the largest plants and the biggest investment will be the perennials. I always had them in the back, the 'kings' in my jungle. The middle row was different every year, some mid sized perennials or annuals. The front row was always very short, almost a ground cover, but not.

In my next post I will tell you some of my favorites and why, but it depends on where you live, what did well for me in the Midwest might not be the best choice for you.

I have much more to say so please come back.


     

No comments: