Sunday, March 18, 2012

How to lay pavers on a patio

In case you have just joined me,my garden posts are one continued story so you might want to read the previous two posts on this page first (don't sigh,they aren't long) Shortly after the plants were planted I realized that the patch of grass between my house and fence was more annoying than it was pretty.I had put some garden furniture down and the grass under it just didn't work. In addition, I needed a tree for shade. This space that I had created was more of a 'terrace' and it needed a floor. Back to Menards I go. I choose some stone pavers that would look nice with the fence. They were delivered the next day along with a driveway full of sand. My fantastic neighbor Tom and I dug up all of the soil to a depth of about 8 inches. (He actually did the most, I was just a 'token' worker) Lucky for us, the neighbor behind my fence needed our soil to level off his. Tom put all of the sand over the raw dirt and then laid the pavers on top. When all of the pavers were down it was my job to pour sand over it all and sweep it into the cracks. Done! The transformation was amazing. About the tree: When Tom was laying the pavers I asked him to leave a 3ft square open, close to the fence in line with my kitchen window. I wanted the tree in view so I could enjoy the birds and animals that it attracted. I bought a Locust,it seemed so small at first but I could almost see it grow, at least a foot each season. With proper pruning, it grew to supply wonderful soft shade and atmosphere.
I am going to talk about some of my favorite plants on my next post and I also want to show you how I incorporated my art into my garden.

No comments: