Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lets plant a garden

Let me start by saying, "Don't ever think you do not  have room for a garden."  Here is my story.  Back in 1994 while the realtor was showing me the house that I fell in love with, could afford and wanted to buy, we walked through the garage to look at the back of the house and she said, "I am sorry there isn't a yard." There was grass up to the house but it blended right into the neighbors yard. Bummer!!

 I saw potential.

As soon as the house was officially mine, I  found the property line. It was very close to the house, I am guessing  12ft or a little more, but room enough for a chaise lounge chair and a picnic table . Within days I was at Menard's buying a cedar privacy fence. I hired someone to put it up for me and Walla! I had a yard!  Small, but it was mine.

To add to my delight, I discovered that the attached garage jutted out just enough to serve as a wall on one side and the neighbors garage served as a wall on the other side, nice and cozy.   That served me well in the 11yrs. that I lived there. In the Spring and the Fall,on the coolest windiest days, my backyard was warm without wind.

The next step: I needed flowers. I decided to put the flowers along the back of the house curving  around at each end.  I dug up the grass to a depth of 4 ft. and then tilled the earth and added some good soil.  Back to Menard's for bricks which I used as 'edgers' to give my garden a border.

I will continue this story all week. Here is a teaser: This little garden turned into a terrace, my retreat, a haven for birds, a place to gather with family and friends to share happy times and to build memories. It  was chosen by the city to be on the 'Tour of Gardens' in 2005.

I will continue to share my gardening secrets and lots of photo's

Please share your gardening stories with me as well. Comments are very welcome!

No comments: