Monday, April 16, 2012

Just like Mom

Having talked to my sisters and friends about this, I know I am not the only one that discovers myself doing, saying and acting just like my Mother. Why this is not a good thing is the fact that this 'thing' we are doing is the same 'thing' that irritated the hell out of us when our mothers did it.

Here is an example: While in a restaurant Mom could never open a packet of anything, be it sugar, salt ,whatever. After a few seconds of her doing everything except tearing into it with her teeth , she would hand it to me and say, "I can't open this." Guess who is having the same problem some 30 yrs later? Yours truly. Why can't I open anything, especially the packages that shredded and sliced cheese comes in? Yes I do cut it with a scissor first and then try to pull it apart. Nope, doesn't work. Now after one or two failed tries I just cut the entire top off.


Another example: On Sundays after church Mom and I would sometimes go out for Breakfast. The majority of time she would say, "I am going to have pancakes. That is something I don't really fix at home.” I never vocalized my thoughts (Thank you God for that) but I would think that it was a shame she didn't try other things on the menu. Just last week, TRUE story, my son asked me if I wanted to walk down to the diner for brunch. Guess what I said: "I am going to order pancakes because I love them and don't make them at home that often."

“I am sorry Mom. I just didn’t understand!”

There are so many more examples, but I am hoping someone is reading this that has a similar story to share.


Labels: acting like mother, eating out, i am sorry, Mothers, pancakes

No comments: