Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What makes a house a home?



I just finished watching American Idol. With all of the tragic things happening in the world, this show gives me some much needed enjoyment and relief. It was great to see the contestants so happy that the judges 'saved' Matt, as if they were not even in competition with each other. They have grown so close to each other during this. Isn't it fantastic how much joy we are able to give and receive in this life? People need people. Tonight's show was just the icing on the cake after seeing the 'You Tube' video that has been on the news all day. (Britain's show: 'You've Got Talent', also with Simon Cowell) If anyone didn't see it, I will put the link on this post. Every time I watch it my smile gets bigger and bigger. Watching Simon smile, melts my heart. He smiles with his eyes.




American Idol isn't the only reason I am emotional today. I have been going back and forth about what to do about my house when I move to New York in July. I have decided to put it on the market and today they put the 'For Sale' sign up. Ohhhhh, I am selling a part of me. There isn't a wall I haven't painted, or a space I haven't transformed. I will miss


the small outside terrace that my neighbor and I paved with brick and my flowers and birds and the gentle sound of the fountain. My home is so charming and has given me more contentment than I ever could have imagined, not to mention the wonderful times spent here with family and friends.


BUT, I will create that where ever I go, I will take my home with me. It isn't the house in my life, it is the people in my life that matters. I get to spend a year with my New York family. I am so excited to think of the adventures ahead of me and the people yet to meet. I will grow there, not old, but I will grow as a person and then I will sadly have to leave them because I intend to end up in Minneapolis where my other 3 children live with their spouses and my 5 grandchildren.




What a problem, huh?




Some have said that they envy me for this freedom. I say: "You can do the same when your time comes. Never settle, never stop." I just finished reading Obama's book, "Dreams of my father" I actually didn't read it, I had the audio book and I listened as I drove to Minneapolis for Easter. Barrack read it so wonderfully, he could be an actor. His voice changed with each character, it was fantastic. He was telling about moving back to Hawaii to live with his Grandparents for awhile so he could continue going to American schools. He described his Grandparents routine. Pops (I think is what he called his grandpa) was bored with his job and he and his Grandma, 'Toots' didn't talk much to each other anymore. So Pops sat in front of the T.V. every night and Toots spend her time reading in a different room. The line I remember was this: "It seems they both just decided to 'settle' ''. That is sad.


These posts are going to be about my adventure. So here is the list:


1. Move to New York for a year.


2. Sell the house. (If I don't get my asking price I will rent it)


3. stay tuned.......


No comments: