Friday, April 10, 2009

The best laid plans...blah blah blah

What a day I had yesterday.

I was so excited to see an empty square on my calendar, an entire day to spend as I wished. My plan to get my shopping done in the morning was good, I would take the dogs for a nice long walk in the woods when I get home. (My companion Sammie, a little 6 lb. Maltese and my daughters huge black poodle )

I really got into my shopping and was relieved that I didn't have to teach the art class I have been teaching on Thur afternoons since the first session had just ended and we were on a break. I came home with way too many bags, not just grocery's, a frame for my last painting, a couple of tee shirts, some self tanning cream and new lipstick and lotion for my very dry face, and oh yes, the grocery's that the trip was all about. Really, I MUST stay away from Super Target!



I walk into the house,bags in both hands, with 2 hysterically happy dogs barking and jumping their greetings to me and the phone is ringing. It is the art center giving me the news that two students showed up for the second session.........WHAT?! No! I have groceries to put away, I am hungry , the dogs are lonely and need a walk. I tell the art director to give the students some paper and watercolor paint to keep them busy for 15 min. I frantically stuff all the grocery's into cupboards, the microwave and refrigerator to protect everything from Jasper, the HUGE black poodle. I grab some art supplies and Sammie (no way is my sweet little guy going to be cooped up in this house alone with this HUGE poodle any more.) and jump into my car. I close the car door and discover the index finger on my left hand is still outside the door. Weird, no pain.When I opened the car door and removed my hand I discovered that the finger was wedged into the rubber lining of the door. Lucky for me.

Sammie was a little anxious when I first got to the art center so I held him as I started to teach. Within a few minutes I looked at my finger and it was rapidly expanding in size. I had no feeling in the finger, that was a good thing, right? The gals at the center brought me a little baggie of ice, so I rested my left hand on that which freed up my right hand to hold Sammie. When I wanted to demonstrate a procedure to the students I would let Sammie walk around the table. It was really cute when he started to drink the water we were cleaning our brushes with and walk through some wet paint and then walked across an empty canvas with his little green paws.

Next weeks class may be more organized but I am sure the students won't think it is nearly as much fun.

Tomorrows blog will be about the next step on my list. The saga continues on the journey of my next adventure: moving to New York.
1. I have decided to move to N.Y. to Nanny for a year.
2. Should I sell or rent my house?

Of course I will want your opinons so keep tuning in and thanks so much to those who have already commented. I will get back to each of you soon.

Diane

8 comments:

Buffalo River Farm and Studio Bed and Breakfast said...

Diane,
I've been so snowed under, just got your message on Twitter. I apologize for just now catching up with your request. Wow! I enjoyed your post and really admire your courage to move AND be a nanny. Your post revealed daily struggles that all of us face: limited time, too much to accomplish, multiple priorities, etc. When do you move? How is the planning going?

Unknown said...

Where in NY are you moving. I live in Saratoga Springs, NY. I would say that you could always rent it through a realtor or management company. If you want you could have it on the market too and that way you could make money off of it while buyers are looking at it. I work from home but I'm also a part time nanny, I get to bring my 4 year old son with, so it's really nice. Nice getting to learn about you. I'm part of the MLM Leadership course (from Twitter) as well.
-Erika
http://www.MissHurricat.com

Unknown said...

Donna and Ericka.
I have not figured out how to reply to people's comments. I am hoping you will see this.
Thank you both for writing. I have been out of town for the day , but tommorrow I am posting about my move and my house.Erika, what is the MLM leadership course? I would like to add both of you to blogs I am following so that your posts show up on my dashboard. I hope you have a follow button . I would appreciate it if you would add me to your follow also. Lets keep in touch. Diane

We Blog Artists said...

Hello Diane,
I have been following you for a while...that you for visiting my blog too!

Laurel Alanna McBrine said...

Hi Diane,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I don't know anything about being a "follower" or Twitter or Facebook, but I wanted to stop by. I really admire your courage and adventurous spirit. I am a little bit jealous. Right now I have two sons at home and that severely limits my adventures. New York City for a year is a dream - wow. I don't know where your house is or what the real estate market is like where you have your house or whether you want to return. It is a good idea to sit down and make a 5 year plan to see where you want to end up now that you have the freedom to do whatever you wish! I am currently struggling with the idea of whether to stay in the city or move to the country for awhile and I plan to do this exercise with my family today. Check out my blog about living well too, if you like:
www.creativelifeskills.blogspot.com

SusieReam said...

Diane, appreciate you adding me to your blog follows. I added you too. In fact I had to learn how to do that and your request forced me to learn. Ha Ha

Enjoy your Blog and your adventurous spirit - you are an example of going with the flow and enjoying the process.

sumita's artworld said...

Hi Diane.
Thanks for the reply. It's a pleasure to add you to the list of blogs I follow.
I think that since your plans of moving to NY are short-termed, you could rent out your place for that specified time coz even adventurous spirits like you need a place to come back to and relax. :)

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Diane, I hope your finger is better. I enjoy reading your blog and think you're an amazing woman!