Sunday, April 19, 2009

Another discovery on this journey of change.

My move to N.Y. is less than 10 weeks away. My 'calm, collected self ' is not feeling calm these days. 'Anxious' would probably be a better word to describe how I feel. Anxious as in; "I am so excited about going to N.Y." and "I am disturbed and worried that I cannot get everything done before I go."

My priority this week has been to correct any little flaw in my house so that it is ready to be properly presented to the potential buyers. (Note: I did not say 'next owner' because that thought still makes me sad.)

On to my discovery: I have a huge closet in my attic studio, and I decided that is a good place to start with the sorting process of what to save and what to throw. My discovery is that I can easily part with most of it. Here is one example:

I had 8 spiral notebooks of daily journals about my activities and thoughts during the first year after the divorce (19 years ago). I save this type of thing, imagining that someday when I am old I will read them for reflection and insight. It was very therapeutic then, but I don't have any desire to read it now. It is in the past. As I continued in the closet I realized I didn't need nor want to save most of what was in there.

This idea of getting rid of everything I don't need is contagious. The plan has always been to keep it simple and only take what I need to New York and store what I want to have when I move back and settle in Mpls. The list of what I want to save is getting very small.

The result of this is the feeling of freedom. I want to be rid of the burden of all of this 'stuff" I don't need. By clearing out this house, I am clearing out my life and keeping just the good. I am getting rid of the clutter in my life.

I recommend this idea to others. Think how easy it will be to find stuff !

Read the quote for today, it was perfect for this blog.

I hope to hear from some of you.
Diane

3 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Diane, I would love to get rid of so many things in my attic. Unfortunately, most of it belongs to my grown children. Maybe I should tell them to keep five things and get rid of the rest. Good luck to you!

Unknown said...

How about taking their stuff to them and tell them you are downsizing and need the room? I have all of my son's art projects and boxes he has asked me to hold onto for him (the son in New York, where I am going) I am going to open every box and tell him what is inside and ask him what he wants me to bring with me and what He wants me to sell at my rummage sale. We'll see how that goes.

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Good luck on your move Diane. It's funny how the kids always want to leave something behind. We called my daughter's her "box o' life". She didn't want to take it, didn't look at it, but couldn't throw it away. After having a few children of her own, she was finally ready to bring it to her house.