Thursday, December 17, 2009

New York City and its people

I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art last Sunday. I took advantage of the opportunity to do some Christmas shopping in their wonderful gift shop.

While waiting for the train back to Brooklyn, a dark green train pulled in (not the usual silver with large windows) There were 2 conductors on it , one came out on the platform to shout out the next stop. ( I had never seen THAT before)  But more unusual were the people who jumped off the train laughing and smiling with camera's in their hands  turning around to take pictures of the train. Then people like me who were waiting for the train, took out their camera's and took pictures .When the train pulled away everyone had smiles on their faces. They all knew something that I didn't.

When I settled in on the train I had been waiting for, I asked a young man next to me what that was all about. He told me that that train was over 50 years old . At Christmas time they get a few out and make short runs just for the fun of it.

That sounds like a small town event to me,certainly not  my image of New York City.

 That young man and I had a great conversation all the way home. Back in Iowa, I would have gotten into my car and driven home all alone.

One of the really good things about this city is the people!

No comments: